PDA

View Full Version : can anyone run thru the steps of parallel and vertical parking?

ithunk
29-04-2007, 04:35 PM
can anyone run thru the steps of parallel and vertical parking? thanks alot

alanchia67
30-04-2007, 07:53 PM
your driving instructor will have some tricks on when to turn right? with 'specific' markers somewhere.

spinelli
01-05-2007, 04:27 AM
err how about some real road stuff.got my license,while learning and just park with one hand(no joke,it was tt easy)
now i super stress when parallel parking,vertical still not so bad.which was weird cos while learning i always tot parallel is much easier than vertical,the same said by my frens but its so damn different outside

wi11i4m
03-05-2007, 08:16 AM
err how about some real road stuff.got my license,while learning and just park with one hand(no joke,it was tt easy)
now i super stress when parallel parking,vertical still not so bad.which was weird cos while learning i always tot parallel is much easier than vertical,the same said by my frens but its so damn different outside
i have always found parallel parking to be harder compared to vertical. im not too sure about the steps of parallel anymore cuz i dun park tt style very often..

as for vertical, what i normally do is turn the wing mirrors so that i can see the ground, and base my parking on that. so long as i can see that the car is the middle of the lot, its quite nicely parked outside.. if youre using those older cars without electronic wing mirror control, i could suggest that you buy those circular blindspot stickers to paste on ur wing mirrors..

Lustre
05-05-2007, 12:32 AM
not sure if its my skills or what but i find it harder to park bigger euro vehicles(front bigger). was driving my dads car previously damn hard to get into lot. now driving company van(front smaller). half a pro the first few time trying.

my instructor tells me those method applies for all vehicle, but i felt only half-true. at least the line of entry is diff for me, the see window plane turn part still works thou. i felt most impt is the line of entry, only you can gauge your line of entry for your vehicle. :)

edwinwuu
11-05-2007, 08:35 AM
Here are the steps for almost 100% success.

Firist, you have to know approximately where your rear wheels are located when you are in your drivers seat. Meaning, when you stopo your car say beside another car, you have to know where your rear wheels is approximately at. Once that is done, here are the steps.

I am going to assume that you are going to parallel park on the left side of the curb. I will also assume that there is a slot in between two cars that are already parallel parked. For simplicity, the one that is parked infront, I label it, Car A and the car that is already parked behind Car B.

1. Stop along side a car A that is already parked. Leave about 0.5 to 0.7 meters along side, your left front door to Car A door. Make sure your rear wheel is positioned at the rear bumper of car A that is already parked.

2. Turn your steering wheel anticlockwise (turning left) about 3/4 to almost full and back into the empty lot slowly.

3. As you back in slowly, look at your right view mirror, until you can see the edge of the left most front bumper of Car B.

4. Once you can see, straighten your steering wheel. (Means, returning the steering wheel to the position so that the car will move straight).

5. Now, you are almost there. As you move reverse in, look at the left corer of your car windscreen, the moment you can see that your left most car windscreen is at the position of the Rear Right Bumper of Car A, turn fully to the right as you back in.

Take note, in the last step, as you reverse, make sure your front bumper to not hit the Rear Bumper of Car A. The last time I gave this tip to my friend, he follow blindly and went to scratch another car... then he blame me,...

tsk tsk tsk,... So, now I have to declare, if you hit something, it is not my fault.

Anyway, just follow these steps, practice about 3 to 4 times, you should be good.

The most important thing about parallel parking is positioning of the car. For larger and smaller cars, you may have to do some minor adjustments. Like position of where to turn in. The key here is in step 3. I see alot of people turning too early and too late, that is why parallel parking is difficult. But it is not,... piece of cake...

If you want a demo, please drop me a message, I can show you in person which is much easier. Picture speaks a thousand words,... in this case, Demo speaks a million words...

:D

IceShelterX
12-05-2007, 03:16 PM
lol

edwinwuu
17-05-2007, 11:18 PM
can anyone run thru the steps of parallel and vertical parking? thanks alot

ithunk,... how,... have you tried??? Piece of cake... right??:s12:

battra
18-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Today is the first time I drive after getting my license and I just realized that school only teach us to park to the left. Anyone can explain how to vertical park to the right?? :s11: It should be easier as it's on the driver's side but I just couldn't do it properly.

At which point do I start turning right??

IceShelterX
19-05-2007, 03:53 AM
Today is the first time I drive after getting my license and I just realized that school only teach us to park to the left. Anyone can explain how to vertical park to the right?? :s11: It should be easier as it's on the driver's side but I just couldn't do it properly.

At which point do I start turning right??

lol reverse the step by edwinwuu

1. Stop along side a car A that is already parked. Leave about 0.5 to 0.7 meters along side, your right front door to Car A door. Make sure your rear wheel is positioned at the rear bumper of car A that is already parked.

2. Turn your steering wheel clockwise (turning right) about 3/4 to almost full and back into the empty lot slowly.

3. As you back in slowly, look at your right view mirror, until you can see the edge of the right most front bumper of Car B.

4. Once you can see, straighten your steering wheel. (Means, returning the steering wheel to the position so that the car will move straight).

5. Now, you are almost there. As you move reverse in, look at the right corer of your car windscreen, the moment you can see that your right most car windscreen is at the position of the Rear Right Bumper of Car A, turn fully to the left as you back in.

go find edwinwuu for demo

battra
20-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Thanks :) Actually I was asking about vertical parking. I thought I could use directional change method (1 turn right when parked car corner reach the window triangle, full lock when the corner reach mid-window) but I always ended up too far to the left.

I was using Honda Civic (auto) which is slightly bigger than the manual Honda City used in school (I think). Does it make any difference or is it just my skill (lack thereof)? =:p

IceShelterX
21-05-2007, 11:44 AM
no just lack of experience. 3-4 times more then you should be okay... that what happen to me when i switch around car... lol between van and camry... huge witdh difference

MinorSage
21-05-2007, 04:23 PM
no just lack of experience. 3-4 times more then you should be okay... that what happen to me when i switch around car... lol between van and camry... huge witdh difference

because of my workplace area, i have to parallel park sometimes.

of so many vehicles i // park before, do you know a toyota dyna lorry was the easier?
you will be surprised.
i can go in swee swee with 1 try, and somemore very close to the kerb. :s13:

fortuner and rx300 was very easy too, due to the very high sitting position.
MPV like grandis, odyssey was quite easy too.

the easiest sedan i must say go to the old Vios.
super good turing radius and very small butt.
Lancer is not bad too.

surprising the sedan which i need to adjust a few times was an Accord. :D

edwinwuu
23-05-2007, 01:22 AM
lol reverse the step by edwinwuu

1. Stop along side a car A that is already parked. Leave about 0.5 to 0.7 meters along side, your right front door to Car A door. Make sure your rear wheel is positioned at the rear bumper of car A that is already parked.

2. Turn your steering wheel clockwise (turning right) about 3/4 to almost full and back into the empty lot slowly.

3. As you back in slowly, look at your right view mirror, until you can see the edge of the right most front bumper of Car B.

5. Now, you are almost there. As you move reverse in, look at the right corer of your car windscreen, the moment you can see that your right most car windscreen is at the position of the Rear Right Bumper of Car A, turn fully to the left as you back in.

go find edwinwuu for demo

LOL.... Yes,... Just reverse it,... or should it be mirrored..... But I must say,... that is a fantastic reply... You havew forgotten to include a disclaimer... , if scratch other people's car,... not edwinwuu fault,... ROFL!!!! :D :D

edwinwuu
23-05-2007, 01:26 AM
Anyone can explain how to vertical park to the right??

You want to vertical park or parallel park? You confuse me...

battra
25-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Vertical :)

I tried to follow directional change method but always off quite a bit, then I realised that window position in Honda Civic is higher, so cannot use the same turning point guide. So I guest must use feeling plus open the window and peek outside :s22:

edwinwuu
26-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Vertical :)

I tried to follow directional change method but always off quite a bit, then I realised that window position in Honda Civic is higher, so cannot use the same turning point guide. So I guest must use feeling plus open the window and peek outside :s22:

Another way is when you "about" to see the read bumper of Car B on your right window, start to straighten your steering. In some instances, you may want to use your left mirror as the beginning point to turn to the right as you are reversing in. That means, as your left mirror reaches the Car A right rear bumper corner, you begin to turn in. I realize that some cars that are longer have to use the left mirror as the point instead of the left most side of your front wind shield.

I drive small car, so a little different... Phew,.. luckily you not like my friend, just follow blindly.