Modern cars usually don’t require too much maintenance to run properly, but they still require some care.
Maintenance of your car is absolutely essential if you want fault-free service during its lifespan, and also to ensure you get a good deal out from the next buyer if you intend to sell it.
Preventive maintenance also helps you save money in the long run by possibly pre-empting costly repairs.
If you don’t have the time (or experience) to perform serious maintenance work on your car, we’ve got some easy ones which you can do every day.
- Keep your car covered. Having a car cover protects your paintwork in an environment as harsh as Singapore’s. Everything from the sun to bird droppings takes a toll on your paint. It might not be immediately visible, but keeping your car covered will prevent your showroom-fresh paint from degrading too much in your car’s later years.
- Go easy on the accelerator. This is easier said than done, but brings benefits. Easing on the accelerator from the lights will not only save you fuel, but prevents lasting damage to your engine through accelerated wear and tear. Don’t go ham on the throttle, but instead rev to about 2500-3000rpm when the lights go green – your car (and passengers) will thank you for it.
- Vacuum your interior. Most modern cars come with dedicated 12V power sockets in the dashboard or boot, into which you can plug a handheld vacuum. Regardless of what you use, hoovering up dirt on your seats and floor helps to bring a sparkle to your cabin and removes any source of odour.
- Replace wipers when needed. Don’t wait till the last minute to change them, replace your wipers when they become less effective at clearing rain from your windshield. Also, with the propensity for the local weather to change suddenly, don’t get caught out with a bad set of wipers.
- Keep your tyres well-inflated. Overinflating your tyres may bring some fringe benefits, but wear your tyres out over the long run. Check what pressures your tyres need and inflat them accordingly.
If you follow these steps, you are guaranteed a daily hassle-free (and safer) commute!