Malaysia isn’t enforcing the VEP requirement yet because many of the cars registered still don’t have their VEP RFID tag.
But if you frequently drive to Malaysia, you’ll need to register for VEP and get the RFID tag installed.
Registering for VEP is a rather simple process. However, you need to travel to Malaysia to complete the process.
Don’t think about trying not to register for it. Malaysia will eventually enforce this requirement. And vehicles that enter Malaysia without a VEP will be slapped with a penalty of RM150!
REGISTERING FOR VEP
Things you will need:
– Vehicle details (retrieve vehicle log card through One.Motoring dashboard)
– Vehicle insurance cover note
1. Create an account at the VEP website. Activate your VEP account upon receiving the e-mail prompting you to do so.
2. Log in to your VEP account and register your vehicle. You will need to input your personal details (including your NRIC, Passport number and address).
You must also input comprehensive details of your vehicle. We suggest you access your vehicle’s log card at One Motoring. Details such as the chassis number and engine number are also required.
You will also have to input your vehicle’s insurance information as per the cover note.
3. You will receive the VEP confirmation slip in your e-mail. This is a two-page document (PDF file) consisting of your personal and vehicle details. Print this out.
4. After a few working days, you will receive an e-mail inviting you to collect the VEP tag.
5. Download the Touch ‘n Go eWallet app and create an account with the same credentials as per the VEP account.
6. You can now make an appointment to collect the VEP tag (collection is strictly by appointment, no walk-in will be entertained).
COLLECTING YOUR RFID TAG
The VEP RFID tag can be collected at these locations:
1. Lima Kedai Toll Plaza
2. Pandan RnR
3. Gelang Patah Southbound RnR
4. Plaza Angsana Open Carpark C
The VEP RFID tag will be attached by the VEP staff. It will be placed on the inner side of the windscreen, behind the rear view mirror.
If it cannot be attached to the windscreen, it will be placed on the head light.
I chose to collect my VEP RFID tag at the Gelang Patah Southbound RnR, which is located right before the Malaysia customs, towards the direction of Tuas.
VEP RFID TAG COLLECTION – WHAT TO BRING
– The registered vehicle
– RM10 processing fee
– Photocopy of passport
– Confirmation slip (two-page document with personal and vehicle details)
– Tag appointment confirmation slip (one-page document detailing appointment location and time)
– Vehicle log card (retrieved from one.motoring)
– Photocopy of latest vehicle insurance cover note
STEP-BY-STEP VEP RFID COLLECTION (procedure may vary at other collection points)
1. Place your documents in an A4 tray on the enquiry desk and wait to be called.
2. When your number plate is called, proceed to the enquiry desk. You will go over all documents with the staff. You will receive a queue number if all required documents are present.
3. When your queue number is called, proceed to the counter and pass all documents to the staff.
4. Your queue number will be called again. This time, proceed to the counter and make a payment of RM10 and you will receive a set of documents and the VEP RFID tag.
5. Pass the documents and RFID tag to the staff manning the counter in charge of installing the tag.
6. Drive your vehicle over to the counter. A staff member will proceed to paste the RFID tag on your vehicle’s windscreen.
The VEP is a mandatory permit issued by the Road Transport Department of Malaysia that allows foreign vehicles to enter Malaysia.
Registered vehicles will be issued with non-transferable, tamper-proof RFID tags containing information which identifies the vehicle.
The RFID tag can also be used in conjunction with the Touch ‘n Go eWallet for payment of toll fee on highways (RFID lane).
A processing fee of RM10 is required for the VEP RFID tag which will be valid for five years.
6 road trip dangers to look out for
Why you need an IDP before going on a road trip
Road trips: 5 things to remember when preparing your car